In my first blog post im going to write about migrating older Joomla 1.5.x sites to the current stable version 2.5.7. This guide is for the people who already decided they want to upgrade to the newest version and are looking for a proper way to do it.
Here are the tools i have used for doing the dirty work:
First of all make sure you made a backup of your website files and database. If you are using Joomla, an easy way to do it is by using the Akeeba Backup component, but alternatively you can use any other tool as long you have a solid backup in case anything goes wrong. Because of the different web host setups and shared host restrictions it is better to run the whole process on you local web server, for example using WAMPP in windows environment, but any other apache+php+mysql server that you can run on your computer will do it.
- Do a Backup of your old Joomla 1.5 site
- Install the Backup on you local web server
- Install the JUpgrade component on your old Joomla site. Additional details and requirements about the Jupgrade component can be found here: http://redcomponent.com/jupgrade
- Select JUpgrade from the components menu and then set the Parameters:
- Inside the "Global Configurations" make sure the Target Directory and the Database Prefixes for the old and the new Joomla site are correctly set up.
- In the Debug section Enable both options so you know if something goes wrong
- Set "Skip Download" to Yes and download the Joomla 2.5.4 version and move it in to your Target Directory folder. (There Jupgrade component has some issues with the newest version of Joomla)
- If you have a the Kunena forum component installed you should update it first on your local web server before starting migrating it.
- For other 3rd Party components look at the documentation of Jupgrade and make sure Skip 3rd Party components is set to No
- If all the settings are set up you can start the migration process
- After the migration has been completed the migrated database with the new database prefix should be in your database
- Now you can go ahead and check Joomla 2.5 site at yoursite/Jupgrade
- Log in to your administrator account at check if the user, content and 3rd Party extension data has been correctly migrated by installing all the 3rd Party components you have migrated
- Verify the correct configuration settings for your new Joomla site update it to the newest Joomla version
- Create a Backup with Akeeba Backup of the migrated site. If you are ready, deploy on it on your web server
I used the Jupgrade component for migrating only Joomla 1.5 site user , content, K2 and Kunenadatabase information to Joomla 2.5